Sunday, September 14, 2014

Project #15 - Search Engines

The first search engine that I found was CareerBuilder. CareerBuilder is used for searching for job openings and to post them if you are an employer. From what I could tell from checking it out is that it is a fast and easy way to do look for a job or post one. I don't think that a lot of employers know about this resource, so the results may not be as complete as they actually are.

The next search engine I found was Bloglines. Bloglines is used to keep up with different blogs and websites you are interested in. I created an account on it and it's very easy to navigate. It makes it easier to follow lots of blogs and websites on different sites. This way, someone would be able to check Facebook, Twitter, news websites, and multiple blogs quickly and without much difficulty.

I also found Craigslist. I at first didn't associate Craigslist with being a search engine until I really thought about it. Craigslist is used to find just about anything: community activities, garage sales, relationships, discussion forums, wanted items for sale, jobs, and gigs. This would be useful to look for a new car, an apartment, a home, a job, reviews on different products, etc. It is very easy to use and is very useful.

Another search engine I found was Answers.com. This search engine has all sorts of information and very easy to use. Someone can either post a question and people in the community post the answers to it. Some people post their sources and can make a concept easier to understand. However, it is safe to not believe everything you read unless it is backed up. I know I have found this search engine to be very useful in the past.

The next one I found was NCBI, which is the National Center for Biotechnology Information. This search engine has tons of information about biology related information. It takes a little while to get the hang of, but it is very easy to look something up if the researcher has the name of what he or she is looking for. This would be a great tool for a a research project. There are also many abstracts of clinical studies available to read. If you didn't have a really good background in biology, most of the resources on it would not make a lot of sense. The reading level is very high in most of these articles.

The one required search engine to include was WolframAlpha. I have used WolframAlpha quite a few times in the past. WolframAlpha is a search engine for math problems. It gives you the answer and step-by-step instructions to solve the problem. The step-by-step instructions are only available when you have the Pro version. It's very useful when you're stuck on some math problem and the textbook doesn't give very good instructions. You just plug in the problem and it will tell how how to solve it.

Another search engine that I realized was a search engine was YouTube. I use YouTube frequently. YouTube has video tutorials how to build many different things, music videos, cat videos, epic fail compilations, gaming tutorials, movie trailers, and much more. There are so many uses for YouTube: some for education, some for procrastinating and every level in-between. There are many great videos on how to solve types of problems for math, about the creatures in the deep ocean, about outer space, and music theory breakdowns, but that doesn't even begin to cover everything that is on YouTube. All around, I love YouTube.

Keep Calm and Love YouTube

The last search engine I found was the AVL (Alabama Virtual Library). I remember using it in elementary school, middle school, and high school. It's a great search engine to use in schools because all of the information on it is reliable and safe. The information on AVL is extensive in every subject. I don't have to monitor the students as scrupulously as I would if they were using Google. I would use this search engine the most in my classrooms.

No comments:

Post a Comment