Thursday, September 4, 2014

Blog Post #3

When I watched Peer Editing, I learned some different things that I need to do wen I'm peer editing. When I am peer editing, I need to compliment my peer, provide my peer with suggestions, and make corrections of my peer's work. Throughout this, I need to stay positive and be helpful. By peer editing, I am helping my peer improve their writing and letting them know what they are doing well. When I am correcting my peer's work, I also need to be nice about it. I wouldn't appreciate having my peer being rude about my writing, even if my writing was atrocious, so I need to treat others the same way.

2 students looking over a paper

In the slideshow titled Peer Edit with Perfection Tutorial, I learned that we need to balance our suggestions, corrections and compliments. I also learned that I should start off my peer review with compliments. When I give a review, being specific is very important in all three areas: suggestions, corrections, and compliments.

I really enjoyed the video Writing Peer Review Top 10 Mistakes. Not only was it enjoyable, but it was informative as well. This video taught me that as a peer reviewer, I can't be too picky about the small mistakes. I do need to pay attention to them, but I need to cover those and other aspects of the post as well. Also, I need to pay attention to my peer's advice. It may not be correct and if it isn't then I need to do some research to back it up. When I give advice, I need to be specific. If I'm not specific enough, it will be difficult for my peer to correct the mistakes in their post. When I am commenting on my peer's post, I should stay on topic. This will make my review easier for my peer to understand. When I am receiving a peer review from my peers, I should be open to their ideas and suggestions and not take their critique personally.

2 comments:

  1. Be sure and follow the ALT and title modifiers to adding pictures into your blog. Good blog post and good job at adding in links :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked how you said that you need to start with a compliment. I need to start doing that also. I think complimenting is the best way to start a project with anyone.

    ReplyDelete